- First, I say intangible because as content creators, most likely the offers you sell are intangible — knowledge, information, courses, software, consulting, coaching, done-for-you, etc.
- Second, email marketing is not about sending unsolicited emails. That’s cold email outreach and is a different beast altogether. What we’re referring to when we say email marketing is sending personalized, targeted emails to people who have raised their hands and want to receive emails from us. This is also known as permission-based email marketing.
- Third, you might be wondering why you need email marketing. Why not just sell products or services right on your website or social media?
- Humans need multiple touch points before they buy from you. This is even more true when you’re not selling physical products.
- You leverage technology (in this case email automation) to do the heavy lifting for you. Most people in a niche have the same major problems, why manually repeat yourself all the time? This is why you write the emails once and tens to hundreds of thousands of subscribers can benefit.
The answer is:
Physical products are easier to sell than:
- Digital / intangible products (content, online courses, membership / community sites)
- Services (coaching, consulting, done for you)
With physical products, it’s very clear what the customer is getting — laptops, cars, headphones, pens, TVs, gadgets, food, furniture, etc.
With digital / intangible products and services (which is what we’re selling) it’s not that obvious. You have to convince people you know what you’re talking about when it comes to solving their problems. i.e. you have experience and skills that can help them. You’ve done this before and you’re able to help them solve their problems.
Sales are made based on this relationship you’ve built with them, not made right off the bat.
All of this is a process that takes time. You’re building a meaningful and trusting relationship with other humans, after all. There is no shortcut. There is no overnight success. You have to put in the effort and time.
The good news is that you can leverage software to automatically send emails like clockwork, regardless of where you are or what you’re doing. You could be on vacation with your family or taking a shower or sleeping… and emails will still be sent without your direct involvement.